Test driven ECO

Here are my latest revelations :-)

01
Instead of having to mock IEcoServiceProvider and IOclPsService in order to avoid DB access simply use PersistenceMapperMemory. This way I can create the objects I want, UpdateDatabase, and then run my tests. It’s much easier to read, and more importantly less typing.

02
My page controllers no longer use an EcoSpace. Instead the code always uses a ServiceProvider property of type IEcoServiceProvider. When I want to test my controller I create an instance and set its ServiceProvider property. Now whenever the controller needs to do anything it will go through the ServiceProvider I specified.

This is beneficial for a number of reasons. Firstly it means that I can create an EcoSpace in my test and set its PersistenceMapper to PersistenceMapperMemory before activating it. Secondly I can also opt to pass a mocked IEcoServiceProvider which either returns the real service requested or returns a mocked one. An example of this is that I validate my page by using a registered IConstraintProvider interface (defined in DroopyEyes.Eco.Validation). I can check that a controller action wont save a modified object it if is invalid. Instead of having to know how to make the object invalid I just mock the IConstraintProvider and have it always return a single constraint with the expression "false" so that it always fails. In addition, because I know the name of the constraint that is broken, I can then check ViewData["Errors"] and ensure that the controller action has displayed the error messages.

Sure I can just write the action in a minute and know it works, but having these test cases ensures that if someone else modifies my project’s source code without fully understanding what they are doing I will know what they broke. Or, they will know what they broke and can fix it themself!

So there you are. Same end result, less code.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connascence

Convert absolute path to relative path

Printing bitmaps using CPCL